Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Te Tiriti o Waitangi

Tiriti of Waitangi


The Treaty of Waitangi is New Zealand’s founding document. It takes its name from the place in the Bay of Islands where it was first signed, on 6 February 1840. This day is now a public holiday in New Zealand. The Treaty is an agreement, in Māori and English, that was made between the British Crown and about 540 Māori (chiefs)
Most signed a Māori-language version.
 Reasons why chiefs signed the treaty included wanting controls on sales of Māori land to Europeans,and on European settlers. They also wanted to trade with Europeans, and believed the new relationship with Britain would stop fighting between tribes.Jun 20, 2012

The Māori population was 70 - 80,000 but it dropped when diseases and wars came.
The town was called Kororeka/Russel Aotearoa
The treaty was neglected because it was filled with rats, and fires

In 1833 the "The United Tribes of NZ" to help the situation. The British saw that France was their number one threat because they wanted to buy NZ as well. Edward Wakefield was the one who set up the New Zealand company.



2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Eduarda. I am very impressed that you have completed this work from home. It's great that you had super notes to help you write this good blog post.
    There's just one fact that is incorrect; The Maori population in the late 1830s was 70-80,000. It had dropped from 100,000 due to war and disease.
    Keep up the hard work Eduarda.
    Mrs Hastie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sorry about that I should check everything more carefully but thank you for commenting

    Eduarda

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post