Pages

Friday, February 14, 2020

Tangata Whenua - NZ

 In Hurumanu we are learning how New Zealand was found.

 Kupe and his wife were chasing an giant octopus who had been stealing their fish.
 Kupe and his wife bumped into NZ and his wife named the land Aotearoa because of the long white cloud on top of it. They went back to South East Asia an then a group of Polynesians travelled to the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Taiwan and other countries.

They were travelling in 25 Wakas with about 150 people in each.
The Maori people came from an island called Hawaiki. Today this island is sacred to the Maori

The people tried to go back home but the strong winds would push their wakas back so they were stuck for good.

The land was filled with food and plants kumara, crops etc.. The Maori hunted Moa (A bird up to two or three metres tall) . They used to use the birds feathers to make cloaks, the bones were to make ornaments and fish hooks and they aat the meat.The bird became extinct 1440-1445 years ago. The Moa could only lay 1 to 2 eggs a year. When the Maori saw their mistake it was too late to  save the Moa species.




2 comments:

  1. Ka pai Eduarda. You have written lots of great facts about the history of Aotearoa. Well done on remembering important names such as Kupe and Hawaiki.
    The Maori people brought kumara and other crops with them to Aotearoa. These didn't grow in colder parts of Aotearoa which is why they settled at the top where it is the warmest.
    I look forward to reading more of your awesome history work.
    Mrs Hastie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you I'm really into history stuff its a great way of learn some ancient facts that may be undiscovered thank you for commenting in my blog

    Eduarda

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post